Monday, November 07, 2005

Vehicular Voyeurism

Cars do funny things to the human psyche.

Most people, especially Americans, consider a car a necessity. The majority of us have one, and we use it as our primary mode of transportation. We have a car that we drive everyday to work, to the grocery store, to the movies, to a restaurant. Many of us spend more time in our car than in our homes, and it becomes rather important to us. We simultaneously consider it vital to our existence, and often take for granted its everyday use.

Spending so much time in a vehicle causes us to think of the car as an extension of our bodies. Maneuvering through high-traffic situations means communicating via the “body language” of our driving technique. (And in case you were wondering, tailgating the person in front of you will not cause him/her to go faster so GET OFF MY ASS ALREADY. My car is old enough that I don’t mind slamming on the brakes just to give my insurance company something to do.) When I first got my VW Jetta, I remember thinking the car had a cute ass, and so, by extension, did I. It made me happy. When we start to think of our cars as part of our bodies, it’s easy to imagine that nobody really sees the little human body inside. We relate to other people in terms of their vehicle: “Did you see that SUV just cut off that Camaro?” as if the cars were driving themselves. We sing, we laugh, we talk, and we pretend that our vehicle is one giant poker face.

I have news for you. I watch everyone.

My rearview mirror is my best friend at stoplights. I love to watch the person behind me when they don’t know I’m watching. I always have a pair of sunglasses on hand to disguise my gaze. Is the person watching other people? Does he look happy, sad, confused, stupid? Is he picking his nose? Is he singing at the top of his lungs? I take special pleasure in trying to figure out if he’s listening to the same radio station I am.

Today, as I was driving to work, there was a young man sitting alone in a red car behind me at the light. He reminded me of a young Dr. House: long face, nice eyes, scruffy pseudo-beard, and he looked pissed. He was staring at the back of my head, as most drivers tend to do, but I couldn’t tell if his anger was focused outside his car or inside. He did not move his mouth at all, but every ten seconds or so he would roll his eyes, exasperatedly. It cracked me up every time. I have no idea what he was listening to, or whether or not he just really hated my Alien Fish, but I started to imagine all the things that could possibly cause that awesome House-ian eye roll.

This voyeuristic impulse of mine also causes an inverse reaction, where I assume everyone else is looking at me, too. This is what causes me to sing unabashedly until someone pulls up next to me, whereupon I immediately start humming so it doesn’t look like I was singing. It’s what makes me hesitant to use a hands-free cell phone device so that I don’t look like I just left a nurse lying unconscious in the middle of the hallway at Belleview. It’s what makes me nervous to accidentally lock gazes with another driver, because I don’t want them to think I was staring, even though I totally was.

One evening, as I was driving home to my apartment after a particularly exhausting day, I stopped at a stoplight and noticed a beautiful full moon off to my right. It was amazing: huge, low on the horizon, and bright orange. I leaned forward in my seat to get a better view of it through the windows of the car parked next to me. I was so taken with the sight that I didn’t even notice that the driver of the car whose windows I was looking through was looking sideways at me, confused. To him, it looked as though I were staring very intently at him, with a faint smile on my face. Of course, the driver was a teenage boy, with lots of teenage boy friends in the car with him, and by the time I turned my gaze back to the stoplight in front of me, they were all quite interested in getting my attention again. At first I was confused about why they were honking and waving at me, until I realized that I inadvertently started the whole thing. Luckily, it was dark, so they didn’t see that my face had turned beet red as I stared straight ahead and peeled off when the light finally turned green. I wish I had the courage to do something very clever and sexy before I drove off, but then I would have been paranoid that they would follow me home. I’m gutless.

Anyway, the next time you are sitting at a stoplight, picking your nose, take a look at the rearview mirror of the car in front you. The girl in the sunglasses? That’s me, and I saw that.

5 Comments:

At 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa, you're awesome.
Seriously, you are my hero.

Especially because I unabashedly talk to myself outloud whenever I drive anywhere. I am clearly the one who left the nurse behind at Bellvue.

 
At 9:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa! I need help and you're the only person I know who might know the answer!

How much glitter is a half an ounce of glitter? I mean, WAIT! Is it possible that I have make-up pots in that size?

Hold it, I'll be right back.

Ok, I'm back. That wasn't very helpful. The little pot of eye shadow I have is .07 ounces. So either half an ounce is a LOT of glitter, or glitter is just heavier than eyeshadow.

But seriously. How much IS half an ounce of glitter? Like, would it fill a margarine dish? Is it, like, a quarter cup? A half a cup?

I need assistance! Please help me, I'm craft-impaired.

 
At 10:14 PM , Blogger Meldraw said...

Wow.

First of all, Kate, switch to decaf.

Second of all, I find it both baffling and entertaining that the volume-to-bulk-weight ratio of decorative craft glitter would cause an extremely intelligent and level-headed lawyer such panic.

Third, are you sure you don't want to take this discussion to a more direct and probably faster form of communication like email or telephone? No? Really? Okay, then.

I'm flattered to be considered your emergency craft contact. My expert craftological opinion is that yes, half an ounce of glitter could be kind of a lot, but not necessarily. The actual weight of glitter varies greatly depending on the substance; fine paper-base glitter is going to be much lighter than courser polymer glitter. My educated guess is that half an ounce of an average weight glitter would probably equal roughly 1/4 to 1/2 cup. But seriously, it depends on the glitter.

 
At 6:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So here's what caused the glitter panic.

It is all the Metropolitan Museum of Art's fault. (Well, and peripherally, Signals for selling my name to every! catalog! in! the! country!)

So I got this catalog and on the inside cover, there are these BEAUTIFUL ornaments. They're not anything really that special -- they're just glass balls with funky patterns of glitter. And I think to myself, 'hey those are pretty cool -- I should get some for myself.' (This is because I have started amassing Christmas ornaments because twice now I've bought a ton of them and lost them in the "relationship settlement.")

SO. I look at the price, and they are TWO for $29! Now, I am happy to support art and museums and stuff but seriously? I could fabricate those very ornaments on my own.

And so we come to the glitter crisis. (With one more meander to further note that I have been told that I am in charge of my niece for at least one day between when they arrive in CT at Christmas and Christmas day because "Santa" cannot bring so much on the plane. So I'm thinking a day full of crafty-type things will be on the menu, including making a gingerbread house.) So I found this website that sells all kinds of glitter.

Because I am given to excess, I fear that I will purchase a LOT more glitter than I need, because, well, it's sparkly, and craft stores are not good places for me to go alone, because I end up with all KINDS of neat stuff that I will never, ever use. But I digress again. I just really wanted to know if there would be enough glitter in half an ounce to do what I was wanting to do. I imagine there is.

But can I just say that I KNEW you were the right person to ask? You are the only person I know who would know the difference between paper-base and polymer glitter. Seriously, you're awesome.

(And PS, I put this on your blog because... well, because I figured it might amuse people who read the comments because truly it is a ridiculous dilemma.) :)

 
At 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, it was very funny. And now I know there are different types of glitter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home