Monday, March 31, 2008

I believe...

  • I believe string cheese should be marketed in pairs, like Pop Tarts or Twix.

  • I believe there is such a thing as a stupid question. The fact that one is usually paired with a stupid questioner is rarely coincidental.

  • I believe the neti pot is man’s most frightening, uncomfortable, revolting non-nuclear creation—and also the most unexpectedly gratifying. Fellow neti pot users will agree that the temptation to carry one on your person at all times can be worryingly strong.

  • I believe in collecting skills the way my father believes in collecting coins. (Or guns. Just saying, Shawshank.) You never know when you’ll be kidnapped and need to know how to drive a stick, shoot a gun, ride a horse, speak a foreign language, or tie a sailor’s knot. It occurs to me that I may have watched too much MacGyver.

  • I believe everybody should dance to at least one song per day with embarrassing abandon, for mental health.

    • (Rumor has it that Flo Rida’s “Low” can be especially suited to this activity.)

    • (Rumor also warns readers that aforementioned song could wriggle its way to the top of your play rotation inexplicably often, no matter how vehemently you declare your contempt for rap.)

    • (Rumor is also quietly tickled at the name Flo Rida, since the state of Florida is not exactly known for its posturing hip hop stars, but rumor does not bring this up very often, lest a cap gets popped in rumor’s ass.)

  • I believe Ashley Judd and Charlize Theron may be the same person.

  • I believe that life should have camera angles and a soundtrack. That way, when you walk into the bathroom to find that your cat is LICKING YOUR TOOTHBRUSH OH MY GOD HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?, it would be accompanied by the appropriate sudden zoom and frantic violins.

  • I believe cobblers (occupational, not pastry) are underrated and underutilized in today’s society. My cobbler (who repeatedly tries to get me to call him a shoe repairman, and fails) is one of many people in my life who I wish wore arm garters and spoke with a Cockney accent.

  • I believe my family is under some sort of ancient voodoo health curse. It is the only scientific explanation for the last two years. In other news, there are approximately 44 ceiling tiles per the average hospital room in Omaha. I’ve counted.

  • I believe Las Vegas is what south Detroit would look like if Lite Brite ate it.


What do you believe?


 

7 Comments:

At 6:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Jeporady" music has finally stopped!! Mel, as always, keeping us right to the edge and then just as we are about to jump, we get an exciting new update! Look forward to another! Love to all in NE!

Your CT cousin!!!

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Examorata said...

Wait, your life doesn't have camera angles and a soundtrack? Oh, or hrm. That might only be happening in my head. Damn.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I believe if the camera angles lived with me, it would make it easier to find my keys when I lose them.

 
At 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe string cheese should be marketed in pairs, like Pop Tarts or Twix."

As I sit here eating my second string cheese in a row, I find myself heartily agreeing with you.

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe everyone should (to coin a cliche phrase) dance like no one's watching. I try to do this several times a week. Unfortunately, there always seems to be somebody that's seeing it.

And about that health curse thing??? I'm with you there.

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I believe that now I have to spend my lunch hour racing home to get the jump on my wife's cat in order to see precisely what kinds of mischief said cat gets into when she thinks she still has hours to spare before the tall, talking can-openers (i.e., humans) return home.

Thanks. Thanks for that.

 
At 10:50 PM , Blogger that much closer to fine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home