Thursday, August 02, 2007

Stand-Up Guy.

Here’s what I think: if you make a date with a girl and then don’t show up, you do NOT get a “do-over” for Saturday night. I’m pretty sure that’s written in stone somewhere.

Triathlete’s stock just plummeted, in case you were wondering.

We had a coffee date for 7:00 Thursday night. This led me to believe that if I arrived at the coffee shop at 7:00 on Thursday night, looking kind of fabulous, there would be someone there waiting to have coffee with me. By 7:40, I ran out of coffee and text messages, and went home.

I had a message waiting for me on my machine from Triathlete. (There’s a long story in here about why he didn’t have my cell phone number, but it’s not enough to exonerate him, so I’m not going to get into it.) The message was time-stamped at 7:34. Here is what it said:

“Hey, [Meldraw], it’s [Triathlete]. I think I said we would meet at 7:30 tonight. I’m running behind, though, so I was wondering if we could make it 8:00 or 8:30 instead? Give me a call.”

I had two immediate reactions to this message:

  1. Oh, HELLS no. You said 7:00, dawg. I wrote it down.

  2. Who makes a date, sets the time and place, and then doesn’t go out of their way to keep said date? And then when they know they’re going to be late, who waits until four minutes after they’re technically late (or 34 minutes, depending on who you ask) to call and reschedule? And who expects their disrespected date to jump on the chance to rearrange her schedule to cater to his beck and call? On the first date? With no apology? Who does that?


So of course I called him back, and here’s what was said (and what was really meant):

Triathlete: Hello?

Meldraw: Hello, [Triathlete]?

T: Yeah, hi!

M: How are you?
(Dead? Maimed? Otherwise incapacitated?)

T: Good.
(Um.)

M: So…
(Here’s your chance. Use it wisely.)

T: So, I know we said 7:30—
(Because if I say it enough times, it eventually becomes true.)

M: —um, actually…I thought we said 7:00.
(I’m being deliberately generous. I know it was 7:00. And I’m not going to go all Jennifer Flowers on you here, but that’s only because I don’t think my phone has a “record” feature.)

T: Ohhh, no, I said…I’m pretty sure I said 7:30.
(Even though it is now 8:00.)

M: (Long pause) Well, I could have misunderstood. (Even though I didn’t.) I got there at 7:00.
(Alone.)

T: Oh…
(Oh, s***.)

M: And I left at 7:40.
(Alone.)

T: Ohhhhh.
(Uh-oh.)

M:
(I’ll give you a minute to think about that.)

T: I'm...sorry.
(I guess.)

M: Also, I've made other plans for tonight, since I thought you were MIA, so I can't get together with you later.
(You missed your chance, dude.)

T: So what are you doing Saturday?
(When in doubt, go for the gold.)

M: Actually, I have plans Saturday.
(I plan to NOT go out with you.)

T: Oh.
(And Sunday?)

M: Look, I’m in kind of an awkward position here.
(And by “awkward,” I mean “completely out of your league.”)

T: Oh?

M: I’ve recently started seeing someone else.
(23 “someone else”s, in fact. Would you like to see my inbox?) (I’m willing to bet at least 75% of them are more punctual and respectful than you are.) (And I know six of them are weight-lifters, at least one of them is a bouncer, and one kicks the crap out of prison inmates for a living. In case you’d like me to introduce you.)

T: I see.
(So, is this a “no” for Sunday?)

M: So if you don’t mind, I think I’m going to have to bow out here.
(Though, please understand that I don’t really care if you mind.)

T: Ah, okay.
(Yeah, that’s a “no.”)

M: I don’t mean to be rude…
(Like you.)

T: No, I understand.
(I sense I might have lost this one.)

M: Alright, well, I’m sorry it didn’t work out.
(And also a little grateful that I was never that invested in you.)

T: Okay. Bye.
(Oops.)

M: Bye.
(Good luck with finding a doormat.)

7 Comments:

At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stand-up Guy (SuG) sucks. And I'm glad I could lend some text message support. My vote is now solidly behind Shawshank.

 
At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your vim and fiestiness! (My old college professor would say you're full of piss and vinegar, but I'll go with vim.) Do NOT let these turkeys get you down. He probably smells. And forgets birthdays.

Hats off to you for Rumplestiltzkinning Internet dating crap into Let Me Get This Straight gold.

 
At 3:02 PM , Blogger Examorata said...

I simply must email you about this! I have read the story of your entering the online dating world with rapt attention. I've tried it a few times but I think I had a bad attitude about it. And I know the guys I went out with did.

It looks like things with WorkCrush have ground to a halt and will not move past friendship, so that is what it is, but I feel renewed confidence in possibly going out and making something happen in online dating again. Maybe.

 
At 3:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you. I'm not even saying that he's a terrible person, it's just that you don't necessarily have the time to waste on someone like this.

Also, the telephone interchange after the fact leads me to believe that he's just not that, I don't know, lively. If it WAS just an honest error, or he really WAS taking the date thing seriously, I think he would have made more of an effort.

I AM enjoying living vicariously through you, you know.

 
At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you gave up a perfectly good dinner date with your mother for this idiot!

I think you are right in not continuing this farcical relationship, but I also understand he's an engineer and sometimes those nerdy types lack some basic social skills. Although, most of the time your father does alright.

Still think that a ballroom dance lesson would be a neat date (maybe not first) with Shawshank. I promise not to be there.

 
At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need an update. Pretty please?

 
At 1:29 AM , Blogger Tara Tainton said...

Hilarious! Well, not for what you had to go through with time wasted on this guy, but amusing that these kind of folks still exist and seem completely unaware of how they're closing doors for themselves left and right. ;)

Great post! (I happened over here via BlogSoldiers... love to see a fellow woman standing up for herself and refusing to waste time on losers)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home