Monday, March 19, 2007

Evil never dies.

These are the things I think of when I see the phrase “Evil never dies”:

I thought I was done writing about the VenJetta in my blog. I’d closed that chapter in my life, mourned the loss of some reluctantly great writing material, and breathed my first sigh of vehicular relief in five years.

Unfortunately, I forgot that evil never dies. It only moves around, finding new makeshift hosts to carry out its rancor in imaginative ways. This, at least, is the only explanation I can find for the startling upheaval in all of my home appliances.

It started with my computer. My PC began crashing with some regularity several months ago. Sometimes it would magically fix itself overnight (I’d wake up to find the Blue Screen of Death had been replaced with my Giant Izzy wallpaper, and I would even be logged into my Instant Messenger; the computer was all but whistling nonchalantly), and sometimes I would need the help of my friend, Kevin (Indian name: Dances With CPUs), to piece things back together with rescue discs and DOS commands. I backed up my important stuff and continued to work with it, crossing my fingers. Metaphorically, of course.

Then my hairdryer died, and I had to buy a new one. I wasn’t too broken up about this, because that hairdryer was always a little wonky anyway. It didn’t smell like something was burning, but it did set off the smoke alarm my very first morning in my apartment. For the past four years, I’ve had to dry my hair with the bathroom door shut, so that no one evacuated my building.

Shortly thereafter, my TiVo became frozen and unresponsive. Unlike the hairdryer, this was like a knife in my stomach. Fortunately, a simple unplug and re-plug got us back on track.

Last week, over the course of three days, five light bulbs (in various lamps) blew out in my apartment. I would like to remind you that I live in a one-bedroom, not Aisle Five of LampsUSA.

On Friday, my computer crashed again, and this time there was no coming back. No amount of computer-whispering from Kevin or recovery procedures from me would make Windows start, and I was sick of it. It was the VenJetta all over again, a petulant and unprovoked piece of machinery, and I had had it.

Maybe it was the empowerment of my recent conquest over the VenJetta itself; maybe it was the intoxicating feeling of exorcising all the problem children in my life; maybe it was years of pent-up frustration with Microsoft’s finicky infrastructure and an utter exhaustion at trying to defend it; maybe it was a closeted crush on the sleek designs of Apple’s latest products and a convenient call-to-action; I don’t know. But whatever it was, I think I blacked out somewhere and I woke up with this:

I bought an iMac. Isn’t it pretty?

I think I am slowly but surely cutting off all avenues of attack for the VenJetta’s evil spirit. Soon I will live a normal life again, like Jamie Lee Curtis. In the meantime, I am taking the advice of my friend Jay T and not standing too close to the oven.



P.S. I do believe Macs and PCs can peacefully coexist in this world, and if you try to start a flame-war in here, I will send my toaster after you. Don’t think I won’t.

9 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have bad power in your apartment. Your Tivo (or the Way, the Truth, and the Light as I call mine) has locked up, your PC had had 'issues', light bulbs expired all at the same time. I beg you to contemplate using a UPS with voltage regulation on the Tivo (must protect the Way, the Truth, and the Light) and iMac so you can continue writing your wonderfully entertaining and enlightening blog.

 
At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that the Spirit of VenJetta Past won't leave you alone - but hey, shiny new 'puter!

You remind me of the time that I decided that my CD player was evil. It kept turning itself on at full volume, blowing the fuse on my speaker system. And once I stepped out of the room, only to return to find that there was one CD playing and the changer system with the slots for four other CDs was open and spinning around. Which is clearly the electronic equivalent of spinning your head and projectile vomiting.

(This is MIQ, btw, and I just friended you on Livejournal under my alter ego, milkysa. Not that you post there, but whatever.)

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger Meldraw said...

entertainedinIN, your TiVo is well-named. When I first got mine, I decided it was like an attentive butler for my television, anticipating my every need and fetching me programs I didn't even realize I couldn't live without, and so I named it Jeevo. Jeevo and I are BFF.

MIQ, that is both hilarious and completely terrifying. And, hi!

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Friend!

Good news! We mailing the "package" today. The service we use should make nice the delivery in soon,,, we dont delay! For results of the tracking,,,email gbar24fe2@hotmail.com


(I'm working on an alternate career path as a spam email writer).

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger Meldraw said...

Hee! Thanks, Kev.

You is much fabulous.

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh, shiny and beautiful! I covet iMacs. I want one so much and can't justify the cost of it, especially since I wouldn't really be using it for very much but creating harassing videos to email to my very beleagured friends.

 
At 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Welcome to the fruit side of the world!

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger wagner israel cilio iii said...

i wish you would post again. your blog is superb.

 
At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meldraw... This is me, harassing you for a new entry (you asked for it!) I was thinking that it hadn't been so long, and then I checked the date on your last entry, which was March 19. Today is April 7.

Seriously lady -- new post! (And btw, you asked for the harassment, so don't get snippy with me!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home